Thursday 31 July 2008

Day 7 - Sunday 3rd August - In full Swiss swing!

Welcome back to my daily blog which according to some sources has become an addictive read, so much so that Google are expected to make a bid for ownership as soon as Wall Street opens on Monday morning! That aside, The House of Switzerland (HoS) saw its busiest day today with all the Swiss stands and F&B outlets fully occupied. The word about the HoS is clearly spreading. An example of this is that it only took me 25 minutes to explain to my taxis driver where the HoS was located and after the usual tour of the city this morning I arrived two hours earlier than the day before!
Seriously, the 798 Art Zone area where the HoS is located is already a very popular area in North East Beijing and everyday the crowds increase in number hoping to find out all about Switzerland and Luzern and on the look out for that famous Swiss tennis player, Roger Federer. Incidentally, Roger is due to carry the Swiss flag at the Beijing Olympic games for the opening ceremonies although apparently Swiss officials will give him the flag at the very last minute to avoid Roger losing this as well!

Picture above: The 798 Art Zone is dotted with statues and arty monoliths; here is one of many and, if I'm not mistaken, bears a slight resemblance to IMI's In-training Manager, Mr Hans Jost Hermann!

Picture above: The Public restaurant in the HoS (again) this time with more customers feasting on an a la carté menu called 'tastes of Switzerland' .

Here are some more photographs from the HoS that will hopefully give you a feeling of what its like to be in one place for 17hrs a day! Not me of course I'm busy writing this blog in the comfort of my furnished apartment with the air conditioning on maximum watching the news on TV for the seventh time in Mandarin!

Picture above: Michael Hyvärinen washing his socks in the 'still room' while Ying Low waits her lucky turn to hang them up for drying. Clean socks essential for speedy service!


Picture above: The Hos wouldn't be complete without traditional Swiss music. No comment here for fear of not being allowed back in to Switzerland!


Picture above: Attractive Swiss Olympic merchandising on sale in the HoS. And don't even think about it, my wife has already given me a shopping list as long as the Great Wall!

Picture above: Twin sisters? Not quite but Sumire Sakuma and Pik Shin Wong are still smiling on a deserved break in the public restaurant. (For all my fans in KDU I hope you are satisfied with a more desirable picture of Pik Shin!)

Picture above: The queue for free ice cream supplied by Movenpick, a complimentary IMI brochure with every scoop! I wish!

Fascinating fact for today: Today I was offered a ticket for the opening ceremonies at the Birds Nest Olympic stadium; cost CHF 3, 500. If you want me to write Friday's blog directly from the stadium please send your money to....

Weather in Beijing today: Air conditioning, it just has to be the best invention since sliced bread! Life in Beijing wouldn't be the same without it! Sorry, its very hot!

Don't miss tomorrow's episode!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what is the menu at hos? what is the local favorite? cheese fondue?

H J Hermann said...

Lukas: Foodie pics from the HoS on their way. The last ones I took did not do the food justice. Cheese fondue will be on the menu soon. The Beijingers just love chocolate and ice cream! Thanks for your post.

Anonymous said...

Dear Gavin,
Sorry I did not comment on your blog this weekend.
I had some car problems, more specifically a puncture.
I managed to get where I wanted to go albeit about 25 seconds too late.....
I will view you blog when I have time but as you can imagine I am, very busy.
Keep the A/C on full blast and try and fly back on the A380???
See you in Valencia......!!!!
Best regards,
Lewis Hamilton

H J Hermann said...

Dear Lewis: thanks for posting a message and now the secret is out that I know the next F1 World Champion! Still waiting for my free tickets to the pitt lane for the Chinese Grand Prix...
P.S. By the way has anyone ever confused you with Barack Obama!

Anonymous said...

No. the Local favourite is Raclette. EVERYONE loves it..